prayer

 There is a very old idea hiding underneath a ridiculous amount of modern spiritual language: you do not necessarily pray because God is somewhere else. Sometimes you pray because you are the one who has wandered off. That distinction matters. I have spent years reading religions, myths, philosophy, psychology, ritual texts, and the strange things human beings have done throughout history when they were trying to speak to whatever they believed was larger than themselves. Strip away the costumes, languages, temples, incense, priesthoods, metaphysics, and occasional unfortunate goat, and one pattern appears over and over again. Human beings become scattered. Then they develop a ritual for becoming whole again. This is mine. You can call it God, the divine mind, the higher self, conscience, the soul, the daemon, the spark, the Logos, awareness, or Rock if you absolutely must. The name interests me less than the function. The point is not to convince yourself that you are God in the narcissistic little modern sense of “I am infinitely powerful and the universe owes me a parking space.” Quite the opposite. The point is to remember that there is something in you capable of standing above appetite, fear, vanity, anger, envy, panic, and all the other little mammals screaming inside the control room. That part deserves a voice.

So here are the rules. Do this once a day. Morning is best because you have not yet accumulated an entire day’s worth of bullshit. Sunset works too. I don’t particularly care whether you are sitting on the floor, standing beside your bed, outside under a tree, in a hotel room, on an aircraft, or hiding in the laundry room because the children have discovered you have snacks. The location is not sacred. Attention is. Wash your hands and face first if you can. It is not magic water. You are simply giving your nervous system a boundary. Before this moment I was doing ordinary things. Now I am deliberately paying attention. Put the phone down. Yes, actually down. You can survive three minutes without knowing what somebody you went to school with thinks about geopolitics. Stand or sit quietly. Take a few ordinary breaths. Do not force them. Do not try to breathe like an enlightened dragon. Just breathe. Then tell the truth.

 That is the first rule of prayer. Do not perform for God. That would be an exceptionally silly audience to lie to. If you are angry, say you are angry. If you are frightened, say you are frightened. If you are jealous, ashamed, lonely, horny, exhausted, grieving, confused, proud, or quietly furious at somebody who chews with their mouth open, begin there. Prayer begins where pretending ends. 

The second rule is that you do not ask for control over other people. Do not ask God to make someone love you. Do not ask God to destroy your enemies. Do not ask for somebody else’s will to bend around yours. Ask instead for clarity. Ask for courage. Ask for restraint. Ask to recognise what belongs to you and what does not. Ask to see reality without needing reality to flatter you. Tl

The third rule is that you must be willing to participate in the answer. This one is important. If you pray for courage and then spend the entire day avoiding the conversation you know you need to have, you have not been ignored by God. You have ignored yourself. If you pray for peace while deliberately feeding every resentment you own, peace is going to have a difficult time finding somewhere to sit. Prayer is not outsourcing. It is alignment.

And this is the prayer. God within me and God beyond me, I am here. Whatever in me is frightened, let it speak, but do not let it rule me. Whatever in me is angry, let me understand what it is protecting before I allow it to choose my actions. Whatever in me is proud, remind it that reality does not care about my reputation. Whatever in me is wounded, let me care for it without allowing the wound to become my identity. Whatever in me is cruel, expose it. Whatever in me is dishonest, make it difficult for me to hide from myself. Whatever in me is good, strengthen it. Give me clear eyes today. Let me see what is actually happening rather than only what I am afraid is happening. Let me distinguish between what I know, what I think, and what I am merely assuming. Let me recognise what belongs to me to carry and what I need to put down. Give me enough courage to do the next right thing even when nobody applauds. Give me enough humility to change my mind when I am wrong. Give me enough restraint not to use truth as an excuse for cruelty. Give me enough wisdom to know when to speak and when to shut the fuck up. Help me remember that everyone I meet today is living inside a life as complicated and vivid to them as mine is to me. Let me not mistake another person’s worst moment for their whole character. Let me not mistake my own worst moment for mine.

Keep me curious when certainty would be easier. Keep me kind when cruelty would be satisfying. Keep me brave when avoidance would be comfortable. Keep me honest when lying would protect my pride. Let what is highest in me govern what is frightened in me. Let reason guide strength. Let compassion guide judgment. Let courage guide action. Let truth guide speech. And where I have no control, teach me acceptance without surrendering my dignity. Where I do have control, do not let me pretend that I don’t. I do not ask for an easy day. I ask to meet the day awake. I do not ask to be protected from every difficulty. I ask not to become smaller because difficulty found me. I do not ask to win every argument. I ask to recognise truth, even when it arrives from someone I dislike. I do not ask to be admired. I ask to be useful. I do not ask for certainty. I ask for enough light to take the next honest step. Thank you for this life. Thank you for another morning. Thank you for the people I love, including the difficult ones who keep revealing where my spiritual development remains hilariously incomplete. Thank you for this body, imperfect and temporary as it is. Thank you for the mind that can still learn. Thank you for the chance to repair what I damaged yesterday. Thank you for another opportunity to become someone I can live with when the room is empty. What is good in me, wake up. What is false in me, fall away. What is frightened in me, come closer. What is wise in me, take the chair. I am listening.

Then stop talking. Seriously. This is the part people constantly ruin. Be quiet for a moment. You do not need to receive a voice from the ceiling. You do not need goosebumps. You do not need visions, angels, synchronicities, sacred numbers, or the sudden appearance of an unusually judgmental raven. Just sit there. Notice what arises.

 Sometimes nothing will. That is fine. Silence is not a failed prayer. Then there is one final rule. Before you get up, choose one thing. One. Not twelve spiritual goals and a new morning routine involving Himalayan salt. One concrete act that makes the prayer true. Maybe you apologise. Maybe you make the phone call. Maybe you stop sending the message you know is designed to hurt somebody. Maybe you finally say no. Maybe you tell the truth. Maybe you drink some water and eat breakfast because apparently possessing an immortal soul still does not exempt the organism from basic maintenance. Maybe you forgive somebody. Maybe you don’t forgive them yet, but you stop rehearsing their execution in your imagination. Maybe you simply decide that today you will listen before answering. Then get up.

That is the whole ritual. Three minutes if necessary. Ten if you have them. Every day. No special robes. No expensive spiritual equipment. No membership card. No pretending. Wash. Become still. Tell the truth. Ask for clarity rather than control. Listen. Choose one action. Then go live in a way that makes the prayer less of a speech and more of a fact. Because I suspect this is what human beings have always been trying to do when they kneel before something sacred. Not persuade the universe to rearrange itself around them. Remember who should be sitting at the controls. And perhaps that is what the God within actually means. Not that you are all-powerful. Not that every desire is sacred. Not that the universe exists to validate you. It means that somewhere underneath all the noise there remains a part of you capable of truth, courage, mercy, reason, wonder, and choice. Meet that part every morning. Give it a voice before the rest of the world starts shouting. Then see what happens.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mikhail Tal Didn't Play Wild Chess. He Grew the Forest.

Following the Records: Case 004 Following the Property

Not Ladders, but Gates: What Jacob Saw at Bethel