John's Roast Pork
The first time I had a real Philly cheesesteak, I think I actually stopped talking for a second. If you know me, that's basically a medical emergency. I'd spent way too much time reading about which place was "the best," because apparently Philadelphians will defend their favorite cheesesteak like it's part of the Constitution. Honestly? I get it now. The smell of sizzling steak and onions hit me before I even reached the counter, and suddenly every other sandwich I'd ever eaten was looking a little suspicious.
I ended up sending Ivan to John's Roast Pork, and wow... whoever decided to put that much perfectly chopped steak, gooey cheese, and grilled onions on a fresh seeded roll deserves a hug. Or at least a really enthusiastic high-five. Every bite somehow got better, and I caught myself smiling at absolutely nothing like I'd just been complimented by my crush. The bread stayed perfectly together, the meat was ridiculously tender, and the whole thing was messy enough to make you forget about manners. If a sandwich can flirt with you, this one absolutely does.
By the time I left, I wasn't just full... I was in a food orgasm and already planning my next visit. Philadelphia has plenty of amazing food, but this cheesesteak has been the best thus far IMO. If you're ever in Philly, skip the tourist arguments and just go eat one. Worst case, you have an incredible lunch. Best case, you fall a little bit in love... with a sandwich. And honestly? That's a pretty cute problem to have.
I can smell it
ReplyDelete